IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a popular and effective method of conceiving a child for childless couples. The method has gained traction in India over the years and many specialist gynecologists have adopted this method for treating infertile couples. IVF centers have come up all over the country with many doctors successfully completing many IVF cycles.
What is the procedure of IVF?
It is a common knowledge that a human embryo is produced as a result of union between a sperm and egg in the fallopian tube. In IVF, this union between collected sperms and eggs occurs in a laboratory petri dish. The embryo is then transferred to the uterus of the mother to continue normal growth and development.
There are five steps which make up the entire process.
- Monitoring the development of eggs in the ovaries
- Collection of eggs from the ovaries
- Collection of sperms
- Fertilizing the eggs and sperms in the laboratory under suitable conditions for embryo growth
- Transfer of embryo to the uterus
Egg is retrieved from the ovaries using a hollow needle which is guided through ultrasound imaging. The needle is inserted trans-vaginally. The process is called follicular aspiration.
Eggs are placed with sperms in incubators and monitored regularly. The embryos are transferred to the uterus within 2-3 days after egg retrieval through a catheter which is introduced into the womb under ultrasound guidance.
IVF specialists in India
Couples from both India and abroad looking for best doctor in India for gynecology to overcome their child bearing issues through IVF rush to big cities such as New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata, etc. because the renowned specialists of this method can be found in such cities. In fact, India has become one of the top destinations in the world for IVF treatment because of reasons such as
- State-of-the-art technology at much more affordable prices as compared to western nations.
- IVF specialists with loads of experience and skills in the field.
- Advanced infrastructure and facilities for patient care.
Reasons for undergoing IVF
IVF is recommended for couples who are unable to conceive for a plethora of reasons such as
- Disorders involving ovulation
- Low sperm count or disorders involving sperm
- Blocked or absent fallopian tubes
- Unexplained infertility which does not respond to treatments
- Inability to conceive despite procedures such as ovulation induction and intrauterine insemination
However, the best gynecology doctors in Indiaare also capable of treating all the mentioned above disorders and more.
Cost of IVF in India
The cost of one IVF cycle in India is about Rs2,50,000. This rate can up to Rs4,50,000 for one cycle of IVF. Moreover, if the patient opts for advanced treatment the cost can go higher. For example, ICSI treatment costs an additional amount of Rs1,50,000 to Rs2,50,000. Frozen Embryo transfer, on the other hand, costs around Rs1,20,000 in addition to the IVF cost.
The cost includes medicines, ultrasound charges, blood work, etc.