Migraines are intense and long-lasting headaches that could last for days if left untreated. Adam Camp, MD offers advanced treatment for migraines at Advanced Pain Solutions. For Grand Rapids and Ionia migraines, visit the Michigan-based practice at one of the centers serving the community. You are granted long-term pain relief through a fully personalized treatment plan. This guide offers more information on migraines and available treatment options.
Types of Headaches
- Secondary headaches develop from underlying health conditions like traumatic brain injuries, sinus congestions, and medication overuse.
- Primary headaches develop from problems in the neck, head, and other types of headaches. Common types include cluster headaches, migraines, and tension headaches.
Triggers of Migraines
Migraine refers to a neurological ailment that transpires when something prompts activity in your cranial nerves. The most common triggers include:
- Change in hormonal levels
- Weather changes
- Food additives
- Certain foods
- Missing meals
- Inadequate sleep
Symptoms of Migraine
About a third of patients suffering from migraines get an aura before the unpleasant symptoms emerge. The aura appears in the form of visual changes like seeing wavy lines and flashing lights. Once a migraine starts, you may get symptoms like:
ü Nausea and vomiting
ü Excruciating and pulsating pain
ü Severe pain around one or both temples
ü Sensitivity to smells, lights, and sounds
Treatment for Migraines
Dr. Camp reviews your medical history and performs conclusive exams to determine the best treatment for your migraine. Most common treatment plans for your condition may include:
- Infusion cocktails contain a combination of medication administered by your provider through intravenous fusion. The treatment offers quick relief from migraines.
- Nerve blocks. A nerve block relieves you of migraines by injecting anesthetics to block nerves from transmitting pain signals. A sphenopalatine ganglion block focuses on the trigeminal nerve associated with migraines, while a peripheral nerve block targets nerves on your temple and back of the skull.
3. Botox® injections are effective in treating a migraine that could last for fifteen days or more. A Botox procedure effectively blocks your nerve signals to reduce your vulnerability to recurrent migraines in the future.
- Pain relieving and preventive medications. Your provider considers your test results and medical history to determine the best medication for your pain. The prescription may include daily medication to reduce the severity and frequency of migraine going forth.
- Ketamine infusion is an innocuous anesthetic medication delivering relief for migraines. Your provider administers the intravenous infusion in a low dose based on your symptoms.
- Facet joint radiofrequency ablation. Migraines associated with irritated cervical facet joints and inflammation benefit from advanced procedures like radiofrequency ablation (RFA). RFA uses radiofrequency energy in blocking pain signals.
Other Services Offered at Advanced Pain Solutions
The practice offers advanced treatment options for:
Low back pain
Lumbar spinal stenosis/Vertiflex
Dr. Camp considers individual symptoms to draft a fully customized treatment plan to deliver highly effective and long-lasting results.
Advanced Pain Solutions focuses on ensuring that you live free of pain through advanced equipment and treatment options. To get relief from migraines or learn more about the services highlighted above, call, text, or book an appointment today.